A Cellular Universe In Thousands Of gel Beads
The immediate surrounding of cells matters in vivo.
So why shouldn’t it in vitro?
Quantifying biological parameters in a population of cells obscures critical insights into how microenvironment and neighboring cells influence function, especially in heterogeneous samples. Unlock those interactions by performing single-cell measurements but on a massively parallel platform.
CellCity is a unique microfluidics concept for the analysis of live cells that documents what thousands of cells in a defined arrangement and environment are doing at single-cell resolution. Control cell proximity to elucidate interactions. Track phenotype changes over time and space. Open new frontiers in cell-based biomedical research. That is the transformative power of CellCity.
- CELL INTERACTION ANALYSIS. Co-position cells to study hundreds of interactions at a time.
- FUNCTIONAL GENETICS. Link changing functional phenotypes to underlying genotypes.
- IN-DEPTH POPULATION STUDIES. Reveal how cells function in a physiologically accurate context.
Simple workflow. Easy setup. Powerful research tool.
Encapsulate individual, pairs or groups of cells in a gel bead that acts as a protective and diffusible microenvironment. Work with a range of cell sizes, from prokaryotes to eukaryotes.
Gel bead trapping:
Immobilize up to 2000 cell-laden gel beads in microfluidic traps on the CellCity Array Chip to form an array where each gel bead is uniquely identified by its precisely defined position.
Culture and optionally stimulate cells under tightly controlled conditions. The cells can be uniformly perfused with nutrients or treatment factors across the CellCity Array Chip.
Couple endpoint measurements to time-lapse data. Simultaneously capture the responses of single cells in multiparametric analyses, such as time-lapse fluorescent imaging and immunohistochemistry.
The Software – The Brain – The Incubator – The Array Chip
Precision engineering makes CellCity a powerful analysis tool, but smart design makes it a seamless user experience. With plug-and-play format, carefully planned components and easy portability, the entire system plugs right into any inverted imaging system, any lab setup, any study routine.
The CellCity Control Unit automates all workflow steps essential for reliable cell culture and analysis and executes the experimental design through integrated control software.
- Powerful and fast, traps thousands of cell-laden gel beads on a CellCity Array Chip within a few minutes
- Light-weight, easily portable and designed for a quick plug-and-play setup
- Brings microfluidic cell culture to any lab (intuitive user experience, automated flow control and priming, bubble-free operation)
- Precision engineering delivers uniform perfusion to ensure homogeneous culture conditions
On your inverted imaging system
The CellCity Incubator holds the CellCity Array Chip and maintains the relevant experimental conditions for long-term, live-cell analysis.
- A complete, miniature incubator (37°C, 5% CO2). No need for any other chamber.
- Designed in a microtiter plate format to fit on your inverted microscope setup.
- Controlled and optimized heating to work with low volumes and temperature sensitive samples
- The CellCity Incubator can be easily moved to a cell culture hood for uninterrupted sterile conditions and handling
with 2000 beads
The CellCity Array Chip is a high-precision microfluidic device that places single, pairs and groups of cells into an array of gel beads for sterile culture and analysis. No microfluidics experience required
- Cell-laden gel beads are captured in the 500 microfluidic traps of 4 microfluidic channels to analyze up to 2000 gel beads at a time
- Accommodates different cell types and cell lines, in particular primary cells (e.g. HUVEC, breast cancer cells, brain tumors, CAR-T cells, macrophages, leukemia cells and even bacteria)
- Includes a high-resolution temperature sensor integrated at the cell culture site exactly where the correct temperature is needed
- Augments insights with endpoint data by making it easy to stain cells (e.g., immunostaining, surface staining) after time-lapse (fluorescent) imaging
Ready-to-use Notebook included
User-friendly, proprietary PC-software communicates with the control unit to regulate and perform all essential workflow steps
- Built-in performance-checks ensure reliable and accurate assay outcomes
- Accelerates and simplifies workflows e.g. with cell counting and gel bead analysis tools
More insights from every cell
Co-Position two cells
Link a cell’s genes and function
Track reporter genes and other modifications of single cells upon response to stimuli
See phenotypic heterogeneity in populations
Preserve the 3D space around cells
Use your existing protocols
No need to start from scratch. CellCity works with your bioassays & imaging setup
Your ideas. Your cells. Your assay
Control your experiment
Gain complex insights fast
1 chip, 4 channels, 2000 beads. Generate large, meaningful datasets in each run
Conduct reliable live-cell studies
One Platform. Endless Applications.
Use cell division as a functional readout to understand the role of cell proliferation in disease.
Productivity on any budget, with any sample
LOW CELL & SAMPLE INPUT
Impactful insights from as little as 10 μl sample volume
USE REAGENTS EFFICIENTLY
Targeted and uniform perfusion culture saves reagents (200 μl per condition per day)
NOT ANOTHER EXPENSIVE DEVICE
REDUCE TIME-INTENSIVE WORK
Long-term live-cell imaging of the cellular interaction between breast cancer cells (MCF7, red) and endothelial cells (HUVEC, green) at single-cell resolution. Data courtesy: Rezaei M. et al., 2020
VESICLE TRAFFIC BETWEEN ENDOTHELIAL AND BREAST CANCER CELLS
In a recently published study, Prof. Johannes A. Eble at the University of Münster investigated signaling between adjacent endothelial and breast cancer cells that may induce ectopic VE-cadherin expression in tumor cells.
Read Full Story
Using evorion CellCity, the research team examined cellular communication between individual primary endothelial cells (HUVECs) and breast cancer cells (MCF7).
They encapsulated single cells and co-positioned them on the CellCity Array Chip in a physiologically relevant microenvironment. Long-term live-cell imaging analysis at single-cell resolution revealed a previously unknown time-dependent uptake by cancer cells of extracellular vesicles derived from endothelial cells.
In addition, the cancer cells underwent significant morphological changes and expressed common endothelial markers, like VE-cadherin, after interacting with the endothelial cells.
Your research group will
Advantages for your research group and institution
Boost your visibility
Completely sterile cell handling
Simple workflow for any user
Less input, less waste
Flexible and portable
Little bigger than a book, CellCity is portable & easily plugged in where you need it
Experience CellCity now
Let’s talk about your research questions and goals. We’ll show you how evorion CellCity can advance your work.
We are a young and dynamic company with a highly talented and motivated team of creative minds. Our goal is to develop and provide tools that empower our customers in answering the most relevant biological questions to catalyze research breakthroughs and drive innovation in diagnostics and therapeutics. Together with the support of our investors and the guidance of our advisors, we are determined to spark the next generation of biomedical research.